Tuesday, May 10, 2016

thanksgiving


Freshman year, I am thankful for you. 

I am thankful for a God who provides hope and who preforms miracles and provides blessings daily. I am thankful for getting to sit front row for every home football game. I am thankful for Kappa Kappa Gamma teaching me how to be myself and how to be vulnerable. I am thankful for the fact I’m forever done with dining hall food. I am thankful for Netflix and its ability to transplant me to another world on days I just need a break from everything. I am thankful for homemade Rice Krispie Treats & Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I am thankful for the new restaurants that have developed in Waco-and the local gems I have found. I am thankful for the hospitality and family orientated atmosphere Waco offers. I am thankful that my dad hasn't broken his promise-we’ve never gone over five weeks without seeing each other. I am thankful for how my sweet Sadie greets me every time I get home with plentiful kisses and love and snuggles. I am thankful for how decorating made my 10 x 10 dorm room feel like home. I am thankful for ESPN and sports, who keep me company when studying alone. I am thankful for gifts of love delivered at just the right time. I am thankful the ability to live in a college dorm, something I thought I may never be able to experience. I am thankful for technology and it’s ability to keep me in touch with those who matter most to me. I am thankful for timely phone calls and texts of wisdom when encouragement is needed most. I am thankful for coloring books that calm me down and pillows to scream into. I am thankful for the college experience and the further appreciation it has given me for higher education, as well as the incredible home I was raised in. I am thankful for the dozens of pictures on my walls that remind me of where I come from, all the good memories of my past and all the people in my life I have cheering me on. I am thankful for the new appreciation college has given me for sleep and how it has fine tuned my time management skills. I am thankful for how Baylor has made me learn and study in new ways. I am thankful for people who remind me I’m beautiful, especially as I struggle this year with weight gain, self esteem and self concept. I am thankful for a God who loves me and calls me His daughter-regardless of my GPA. I am thankful for the hours of sleep when I desperately needed them and parents who have supported me in every capacity they’re able to. I am thankful for friends who have stayed loyal and true, throughout my trials. I am thankful that His mercies are new every morning. I am thankful that my medical condition has shaped me to be ever more thankful for the little things. I am thankful for people who keep me in check.  I am thankful for the multiple opportunities I have been provided that have furthered my interest in ministry. 

I am thankful that my health allowed me to do what many said was impossible. I am thankful for the world’s greatest parents who show me daily what Christ like love looks like. I am thankful for accommodating and wonderful doctors. I am thankful for modern medicine. I am thankful for prayers that got me through on days I didn’t think I could go on any longer. I am thankful for Kappa Kappa Gamma and the wisdom I have gained from this experience. I am thankful for a Lord who loves me at my darkest. I am thankful for people I don’t even know who have made my dream of going away to college possible. I am thankful for a year of gaining knowledge. I am thankful for being stretched academically in ways I’ve never been before. I am thankful for sorority sisters who I can always rely on to make me laugh. I am thankful for the sacrifices my family has made so I can attend Baylor. I am thankful for understanding and caring professors. I am thankful for the new experiences, cultures and ideas going to a University has exposed me to by giving me a new perspective on a variety of topics. I am thankful for the memory of Kaylee Carew and how her legacy inspires me daily. I am thankful for the city of Waco, that which I have become quite fond of. I am thankful for parents and doctors who have never crushed or doubted my wildest dreams, but rather encouraged and supported me along the way. I am thankful for friendships, both old and new, that have provided laughter, happiness and the reminder that I’m never alone. I am thankful for the abundance of new things that college has allowed me to experience. I am thankful for the way He has revealed to me the weaknesses in my faith this year and has used them to humble me. I am thankful for a major that has allowed me to take classes in a field I’ve been passionate about since I was seven years old. I am thankful for times of thanksgiving that remind me of how far I’ve come but also for a God who keeps me grounded and humble-I’ve got a long ways to go. I am thankful for His provision in decision making. I am thankful for Baylor University-the incredible academic institution it is and for their commitment for the students to grow in every aspect of life. I am thankful that I have a God who is bigger than my chronic depression and greater than my anxiety. I am thankful for the opportunities that have forced me to be independent and problem solve. I am thankful for the many hours of loneliness and weakness, in which He has grown me the most-He truly does make beauty from the ashes. I am thankful for mentors that have sustained me with encouragement. I am thankful for signs from the Lord on days where I doubted my decision to embark on this crazy journey. I am thankful for God continually showing me that while following His plan may never be easy, I can rest assured in that His plan is far better than anything I could ever imagine.

Freshman year, I am thankful for you. Jesus, I am thankful for you.

"You are joy, You are joy, You're the reason that I sing"

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ashley. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, india. I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I love to get connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. MY email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends and also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2016

    ReplyDelete